Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2x6 Tongue and Groove decking for garage floors

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanMcGrew

Structural
Mar 2, 2018
US
I need guidance on the spans between floor beams when using 2x6 Tongue & Groove (T&G) decking. The vehicles are contractor pickup trucks, 4000 lb maximum axle load. Are there any publications for these concentrated loads? I have found lots of information on uniform snow loads but I am concerned about the shear force.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Any building code applicable? What about resistance to fire? Then along comes a crawler tractor on tracks weighing twice that of a pick-up.

What about maintenance?
Like lifting an entire end of the vehicle with a jack under the front crossmember or the differential housing?

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

I suggest taking a close look at a trailer set up for hauling vehicles that has a 2X6 deck, and check the spacing of the cross beams on those. Those don't share load, and they don't fail in shear under the wheel load of a normal pickup. If you need convincing, there are shear capacity values in the NDS you can check.

oldstguy said:
Then along comes a crawler tractor on tracks weighing twice that of a pick-up.
The load would be distributed by the tracks so likely not an issue. i think your biggest issue is a jack load as MH stated.
2x6 T&G is pretty tough stuff, however.

Is this for a bridge? If so, I would recommend checking out Section 3.25 Distribution of Wheel Loads on Timber Flooring from the 1992 AASHTO Standard Specifications.

Sorry, I completely missed "Garage" in the Title. Either way, you could use AASHTO, which is a great resource for concentrated wheel loads and their distribution. In the past, as a conservative approach, I have assumed the floor planks to be single span for moment and 2-span for shear to produce the worst case for each using the maximum axial load. If you need to refine your calcs a bit more you could then divide the axial load into 2 wheel loads spaced at the minimum axial spacing of the design vehicle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back