Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

3-D input devices by 3dconnexion: any good?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DonTonino

Mechanical
Mar 7, 2006
IT
Recently I have been looking up at the input devices (like the SpaceNavigator or the SpaceTraveler) produced by 3dconnexion, and I'd like to test them to see if they can really deliver what's being advertised; before buying one though I'd like to ask if anybody here has had any experience with them and could please tell me something about it, starting of course by the basic question: do these devices work under ANSYS classic?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have a spaceball and it works well with ANSYS classic. Even works well with 2D if you lock rotation. I mainly use scripting to do analyses so I don't use the spaceball very much, but it speeds things up from time to time.

I have the spacemouse, and it was the best spent $500 in my pro. career. in ansys you can manipulate the objects even in selection mode and you don't need to switch selection/action (f9), not to mention working with both hands on the model.
only app where it has problems in ansys CFX - no support.

Hi I have a spaceball 4000 and a traveller and it would be like cutting my left arm off without it.

I believe 3D connexion have released a newer cheaper 2 button version now

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back