Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

3 hour storm duration 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

buoy

Marine/Ocean
Feb 18, 2011
US
Can someone please cite the reason that a design load is based on its maximum value during 3 hours of a 100-year storm? In other words, why is the storm duration assumed to be 3 hours. Is the most intense period of a storm expected to last 3 hours, even though the synoptic time scale of storms is longer (3-5 days)? Or is 3 hours chosen because Hmax ~ 2*Hs? I would really like to see a technical explanation of the 3 hour interval. Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Probably more a practical decision than anything else- if a storm is expected to reside in an area for longer than 3 hours then evcuate. The key numbers probably are travel speed (10-20 mph) and area of exposure (150-300 miles) so a worst case scenario is 30 hours but never expect head on so assume 10%- 3 hours.

DNV says 3 to 6 hours. but it discusses 3 hours as a general case. if you expect duration more than that you should use your value instead of 3 hrs.

Looking at my Barltrop and Adams page 256. It states:-

"Over an interval of 3 hours the statistics do not change very much and the seastate may be described by significant wave height (Hs) and mean zero crossing period (Tz)."

And DNV-RP-C205 states

"Three hours has been introduced as a standard time between registrations of sea states when measuring waves, but the period of stationary can range from 30 minutes to 10 hours."

DNV-RP-H103 mentions 3 hours as well.

Remember the 1.86 factor which is said to be the ratio between max wave height and sig wave. I've used that for years without complaint.

So I guess the stats people think that after 3 hours you just see (statistically) a max wave height that doesn't differ much from using say a 4hour, 5hour... 10 hour etc. storm data.

It’s in order to capture all possible extremities of the sea state. Generally 3hrs is statistically sufficient to achieve this, using more than this is waste of project time frame.
However for some analysis (e.g. Fatigue analysis), if you can prove that a time duration less than 3hrs will give results that are statistically ok compared to the 3hrs, it will be acceptable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back