Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

3 monitors...

Status
Not open for further replies.

nxprog

Mechanical
Jan 11, 2004
US
I presently use 2 Samsung SyncMaster 213T 21", and I would like to add a dell ultrasharp 24". I have a nvidia quadro fx 3800 video card and it does have an additional port...so i think I can run 3 monitors. Does anyone have a 3 monitor setup? Will it work with UG?...Thx

Fred
NX 6.05.3 MP9

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It might work with NX, but officially we've only tested dual-screen (and then they have to be the same size and resolution) configurations so if it doesn't, you're on your own :-(

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
UG/NX Museum:
To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

I didn't say that you'd have any problems if the monitors were of different size and/or resolution, just that OFFICIALLY we have ONLY tested dual-screen configurations using same-size/same-resolution monitors.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
UG/NX Museum:
To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Instead of 3 monitors, why not use 2 larger ones?
I have 2 same size 30" monitors, 1HP LP3065 and 1 HP ZR30W.
I use both for NX8 and stretch the modelling display now and then, but there is still the displayborder that devides the model.
What works best for me is undocking the assembly and part navigator and put them on the second monitor. Next to these I use NX viewer or pdf viewer or whatever office application.
Uploaded a screenshot.

Older budweiser

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=b721f46e-4a02-4a32-a0af-fa52ec742909&file=2monitors.PNG
I ordered a dell 24" ulrasharp....I'll put that in between the 21's and see how it works. But I'll like the idea of 2 30" also

Fred
NX 6.05.3 MP9

At one of the User Group meetings a few years ago, HP (I think) had a 3D display set up for VR with NX (may have been v16) which utilized 3 36" monitors.
Not the same as this setup had a dedicated graphics computer to drive the 3 displays.

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."

Ben Loosli

i'm eagerly awaiting a day when we can have a 3D display, such as that...
I've seen something on TV where they project the screen image thru a fish-eye lens onto a (concave) semi-hemispherical screen.
Some place in San Fransisco i think it was... now that would be cool..

Bewfore buying the 3rd display, make sure your graphics card does support outputting to 3 displays.

At home (an ATI gaming gfx card) I have 3 connections at the back, but only 2 at the time is possible to use!
(I'm using it as 2 LCD-displays + TV, but to get the TV to show, I need to disable one of the displays)

Frank Hagström

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back