Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

3 Sided Pyramid 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

boliver

Mechanical
Feb 11, 2003
US
How can I draw 3 sided pyramid solid. Need to subtract from cone on a 3 array pattern.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Draw a 3 sided polygon, and extrude it. After specifying the height, you will get the prompt:
Specify angle of taper for extrusion <0>:

Figure out what your angle will be for your particular height.

Flores

BOLIVER-

SMCADMAN'S response was sweet and to the &quot;point&quot;. This is the same way I do it. However, before I extrude my base triangle, I place a line at the center the exact height I need it, then select a UCS with the base of that line, a corner of the triangle (x) and the upper end of the line (Y). I then do a simple angle dim and extend the number of decimals available to 8. I then use all 8 in my angle answer for the extrude command. SMCADMAN was right that the answer is very simple and straight forward. I might only add that there are more parts and shapes to be created than can be programmed into any one automated function or command. Yesterday a designer I work with was stymied because his high-end modeler wouldn't create a particular shape with a particular orientation to a particular axis reference. I showed him how I'd create the part in basic ACAD, and suggested he look for similar elements in his PRO-E modeler. He not only was able to create the part effectively in PRO-E, the novel approach offered him 2 new parametric relationships he was able to take advantage of that he wouldn't have discovered using only limited pre-programmed construction solutions. ACAD may honestly be a slower second cousin to the genuinely more powerful PRO-E (and others ...) but part modeling is more about what you can create to solve the boss's problems. Good luck and thanks for the opportunity to share...
cfee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back