Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

3 sigma and 1 sigma values

Status
Not open for further replies.

NDEngineer

Mechanical
May 25, 2004
US
I have what seems to be a simple statistics question, but has stumped everyone in my office (including me)...

I did a tolerance stack analysis on an assembly by doing a RSS (root sum squares) analysis. From what I understand, this results in a 3-sigma value. Is there a way to convert this number to a 1-sigma value? If so, how is it accomplished?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There isn't really a sigma distribution associated with the individual tolerances. A small example...

tol 1: +-.005
tol 2: +-.010
tol 3: +-.010

RSS = sqrt((.005^2)+(.010^2)+(.010^2)) = .015

All of the information I could find regarding RSS analyses for tolerance stack applications concluded that the result (.015 in this example) is a 3-sigma value.

This being the case, can I simply divide by 3 to get a one sigma value? Using the same logic, would I multiply the result by 2 to get a six sigma value?

NDENGINEER: Go to a basic statistics book. The 1 sigma value is considered to be one standard deviation. 2 sigma id 2 standard deviations. 3 sigma is 3 standard deviations, and so on.

In a standard normal distribution about 68.3% of the data lie within 1 standard deviation of the mean. 95.5% or the data lie within 2 standard deviations of the mean. 99.73% of the data lie with 3 standard deviations of the mean.

Regards
Dave

Approximating a RSS to a normal distribution sort of works because of the central limit theorem. Since the original tolerances are likely to be based on the process, they will be around the 3-4 sigma mark, for most processes.

Cheers

Greg Locock

Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips.

This has been discussed before, you may want to search for it.

In a previous life we had a tolerance stackup question. The Quality Department referred to Juran's Quality Manual. It indicates that RSS applies ONLY if all of your individual tolerances are normal distributions with Cpk of >= 1.33. Otherwise your tolerance stackup is arithmetic summation. You probably ought to verify this "fact" because I'm going on memory.

The summation, in reality, isn't very practical because the total tolerance could be very unreasonable. So where's the balance? Dunno. We just muddled through using so-called "engineering judgement".

TygerDawg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back