GregLocock

Automotive
Apr 10, 2001
Orbiting a small yellow star
UK additional wind stored for a year
USA
California and Germany
Australia
It is slowly dawning on those who are committing us to this economically suicidal path that having (non nuclear) Net Zero targets in 2050 and relying on random subsidies to get us there isn't working, due to commercial infeasibility and sovereign risk among other things. I was speaking to a senior (compared to me) government bod the other day and she has been asked to join a group looking at a PATH to net zero. That should be fun. I'd better send her those links.

Cheers

Greg Locock

New here? Try reading these, they might help FAQ731-376

I think the Ivanpoh is an interesting "prototype" solar plant. It's acres of mirrors that reflect solar light to create heat to power turbines and produce energy. Not solar panels, just heat, steam and turbine power.

The neat thing about this is that when the sun doesn't shine, the plant can be run on fossil fuels and still produce electricity. Certainly not net zero. But, I like that this plant (or future ones that are revised slightly) might be capable of providing night time "base load" as well as solar during the day.

Also, I should point that the Bill Gate's solar company does something similar where they story the heat from the day (in rocks or such) that are later used to generate power at night. It may not be as scalable. But, it's things like this that need to be developed long term.

"a PATH to net zero" ... the yellow brick road ?

"Hoffen wir mal, dass alles gut geht !"
General Paulus, Nov 1942, outside Stalingrad after the launch of Operation Uranus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back