Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

3 wire or 4 wire?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JSelf

Electrical
Apr 19, 2004
US
Could anybody tell me in 3-phase power when I would use a "3ph/4w/Ground" setup rather than a "3ph/3w/Ground" setup. I am a bit confused as to which I use in a given situation. Thank you,
Jason Self

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If your loads require a neutral, meaning if some load is connected between line and neutral then you need 3 phase, 4W and GND. If all the loads are three wire such as 3 phase transfomers or 3 phase motors only, you can get away with only 3 ph, 3W and GND.

If the single phase loads is a very small part of the larger 3 phase loads, you may wish to use a small 3ph, 3w to 3ph 4W transfomer to feed single phase loads and keep the majority of the system 3 phase, 3W.

Comment: 3ph/3w/ground is used for dedicated loads that do not need neutrals, e.g. motors, heaters, converters, etc.
3ph/4w/ground is used for general or mixed loads. Also, the system grounding methods should be noticed since 3ph/3w/ground can be ungrounded.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back