Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

3-Wire RTD (termination designations)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MESC1

Electrical
Jan 22, 2004
US
What is a good genaric terminal designation for 3-wire RTD's?
Let me elaborate on why I need assistance... RTD's generally don't come with any kind of terminal designation. In my company we determine a portion of our wire markers by the terminal designation of the end device. This insures thay are all unique. Where those designations don't exist we apply genaric but commonly understood designation. This is easy enough if you are talking about a pilot light, H and N or +24 and COM work well. But in the case of RTD's it's just not as obvious to me. I have seen Red, White and White, although that really doesn't explain the service. Also that gives two wires the same wire number, that's bad business; they're not hitting the same point on the PLC or in the customer's DCS. Today someone suggested +, -, and -. Again this lacks a unique numbering. Also, until today I'd never seen that on an RTD, it seems strange to me. I've also seen RTD, Sense, and Return, but that is awfully long to put on a wire marker.
Basically if you could offer me some opinions on how this should be labeled, and what is commonly understood in the industry I would appreciate it.

Thanks
SC

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

We use +,-,- as you mentioned. The - and - are not unique because they dont have to be since they are common. The device that is measuring is connected to + and - and the compensation wire is connected to the remaining -.

If you don't like this, i suggest r1, r2 and c where r1 and r2 are the resistance and c is the compensation.

In your *case* (and I understand it all too well[flip]) I would call them:
+, -, sense
or
+, -1, -2
or
+1, -1, -2
or
RTD1+, RTD1-, RTD2-

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor