Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

300 Series Etch 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ndtkansas

Aerospace
Feb 16, 2009
US
I would like to find a good etching solution to use in a production setting for 300 series stainless steel parts. We need to remove between 0.0002-0.0007" of material. Common grades are 304, 316....

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Macro etch? why do you need to remove that much metal?
Sounds more like electroplidhing to me.
Look for info on commercial EP solutions. They are mixtures of sulfuric and phosphoric acids, and you will need a good DC power supply.
I don't know of any way to do it other than electrolytic.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Plymouth Tube

ndtkansas,

Can you provide a little more background on the type of etching you want to perform? Is this etching to reveal the micro- or macrostructure? Or is this etching to remove material for some other purpose (aesthetic, dimensional control, etc.)? I agree with Ed that this sounds like a requirement that electropolishing will probably be necessary in order to meet.

The reason for the etch is to remove smeared metal prior to Fluorescent penetrant inspection. It is a specification requirement.

Mac, We pickle in 24% Nitric/5% HF at 130-140F.
We can take a 0.001" off in 30 min.

Be aware that pickling will make the surface rougher. On 316 they get very rough.

Plymouth Tube

for lower corrosion resistant grades (PH and 400) we lower the HF to 0.5%.
For high Ni high Cr (6%Mo and 625) we drop the Nitric to about 8%.

We are removing oxide and Cr deleted layer from annealed products.

Plymouth Tube

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back