Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

3000A 230kV Getaway Cable 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

davidbeach

Electrical
Mar 13, 2003
US
Anybody have any experience with anything along the lines of a 3000A 230kV insulated cable run? Not that it's the best solution, but what somebody might get backed into. Overhead seems to be off the table at the moment even if it might be a better solution; lets just say we got backed into getting out the wrong side of a crowded substation. So, if you have knowledge of anything even sort of like that, what does it look like? What's the ampacity of one cable? How many cables can you bring up a single riser pole? Somehow I'm picturing 6 conductors at 500A per phase; what does it look like to terminate 6 conductors to a line at one end and those same six conductors to a pipe bus at the other end. Facing a whole new frontier...

Thanks for any useful hints and suggestions.

I’ll see your silver lining and raise you two black clouds. - Protection Operations

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Short runs, 15 kV cable in an underground substation.
Single conductor, lead sheathed, PVC jacketed cable.
As I recall, 3600 MCM cable. Yes, 3.6 time 1000 MCM.
One of the electricians cut souvenir samples from a cut-off end. If I find mine, after many years, I'll post a picture.
The cables ran from ceiling mounted bus in one room, in underfloor ducts, to a 6000 Amp breaker in an adjacent room.
With expanding loads in the city, a second out-going switch-gear lineup was being installed.
Typical stress cones on each end of the cable.
Pulling those cables into underground duct became exciting.
A Greenlee Tugger was pulling and at the feed end, a rope tied to a fork-fift truck was pushing.
The drive chain on the tugger broke and the stretch in the pull rope caused the capstainto back-spin.
The chain doubled up and smashed the aluminum chain guard.
There were pieces of aluminum and broken chain flying everywhere.
With the ceiling covered with 15 kV bus and several thousands of Amps of rated current, let alone fault current,
God let us live.
Nothing bridged between the bus bars.
More to come.
I'll draw a sketch of an installation closer to what you are proposing.

--------------------
Ohm's law
Not just a good idea;
It's the LAW!

This WAS 6 x 15 Kv Cables transitioning from underground to overhead bus.
The PVC ducts approached the structure at a 45 degree angle to maintain spacing.
The individual single conductor cables were stress coned and connected to overhead bus.
CABLE_RISER_jpzajc.jpg

--------------------
Ohm's law
Not just a good idea;
It's the LAW!

Thanks. That's some pretty impressive cable.

I’ll see your silver lining and raise you two black clouds. - Protection Operations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back