Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

303 for rivets

Status
Not open for further replies.

spears

Mechanical
Jan 24, 2005
US
Is stainless 303 applicable to rivets? Does it typically require an addtional coating, and if so what are they.

Thanks for the help.

Spears

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'm not as expert on long products as on flat, but 303 with all its elongated sulfides may present some problems with splitting. Why not use a low sulfur grade which would also have better corrosion resistance?
In general you pick the stainless grade which resists the given environment and doesn't need coating.

I concur with McGuire’s comment about potential splitting of 303. Also I am not sure there would be any reason to use free machining S.S. except for a machining application especially since EdStainless is pointing to the standard S.S. for rivets.

Passivation is one of the most common surface treatments for enhancing corrosion resistance of S.S. but I would be most interested in hearing suggestions by others for your particular application. Please elucidate with respect to environment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back