Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

303 Stainless Steel Standard with Yield Strength

Status
Not open for further replies.

efulm4444

Mechanical
Oct 11, 2022
US
I have not been able to find an ASTM or AMS standard that lists a minimum yield strength for 303 SS. I expected ASTM A582 or AMS 5640 to provide this information similar to ASTM A276 for other 300 series SS. Does anyone know if there is a standard with this information?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I believe that A473 (Forgings) has mechanical properties.
As I recall they are 75/30/35%
But be warned the impact and fatigue properties are not like 304

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, consulting work welcomed

My brief search only turned up ASTM A581 (Wire and wire rods) with 303 in condition B listed as a tensile strength of 115-145 ksi. (no numbers for yield)
Screenshot_2022-10-12_100416_nsjmuc.jpg

The A581 values are for as-cold-worked material.
The A473 values are for annealed material.

Basically you could treat 303 same as 304 in terms of yield strength. For a spec, it really depends on applications. Besides generic ASTM A276, it seems a few other specs there. For spring-type of application, the tensile of heavily drawn fine wire could not be specified over 180ksi. For medical application strip products, it may have couple of conditions, annealed, slight rolled, heavily rolled....

Except for fatigue and corrosion resistance both being much lower for 303

This is regurgitated data, and the risk of errors is higher than when you work with data from a material producer.
Though I have even found that data to be far from perfect.
Physical property data is all over the place, because so few people bother to actually measure it.

The other thing to watch is the N2 content. Most austenitic SS will have a noticeable amount of N2 in it from the processing.
This increases the RT mechanical properties but does nothing to help elevated temp properties.

EdStainless said:
The other thing to watch is the N2 content

How do you measure N2 content?
N will be interstitial (or as part of nitrides), N2 is gaseous if I'm correct. An OES will not be able to "see" gas? I'm way of base here, so please tell me where I'm going wrong as I know better than to question you on this...

Many lab OEs will detect N.
There are also dedicated combustion units that will analyze it (Leco).
Yes, it is interstitial.
In most austenitic SS grades N is fully soluble up to 0.3% or so.
In some 200 series and duplex alloys you can get over 0.50%, and that is a weight percent.

Yes, I agree N can be measured. However you said you have to watch the N2 content. How do you measure N2, how can you watch N2, how can a supplier provide N2 values?

Sorry, I was being sloppy N and N2 are the same in my world.
If you put it on your POs then you will get it.
In tubing (not sure about other product forms) N2 is the exception to the 'second grade' rule.
They don't have to report N2 unless it is an "N" grade.
And they can ship you "LN" material as regular "L" without saying anything.

N is amazing and it takes an important role in developing 200 series. High N helps to stabilize austenite, while Mn is added to increase solubility of N. Pressured ESR can add up to 1.0% N which can be utilized to make a Ni totally free austenite stainless alloy with a high work hardening rate. Cold worked grade can be super-strong and ideal for some medical implant appl (to avoid possible Ni allergic).

Everything You need to know... Aerospace Structural Metals Handbook, Code 1302, Type 303 & 303Se

CAUTION. Type 303Se is generally prohibited for MIL aerospace use [many reasons].

Regards, Wil Taylor
o Trust - But Verify!
o For those who believe, no proof is required; for those who cannot believe, no proof is possible. [variation, Stuart Chase]
o Unfortunately, in science what You 'believe' is irrelevant. ["Orion", HBA forum]
o Only fools and charlatans know everything and understand everything." -Anton Chekhov

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back