Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

303 Vs 304L

Status
Not open for further replies.

thermoD

Mechanical
Nov 26, 2007
US
in our application, 304L component is press-fitted to 303 component (as insert and sleeve). Recently, our supplier unintentially used 303 for both components, huge amount of products have been made, business wants to assess the impact before scrap.

my concern would be steel galling? but can't tell whether it will be worse or the same with supplier's mistake.

any guidence??
notes:
Corrosion is not issue here
304L component requires Rmax 8 surface finish (any impact on surface finish?)
Our supplier has performed testing and dimensional check and all positive, but should I trust them?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

303 being free machining is easier to cut but harder to get a really good surface, I'd be surprised at an Rmax of 8 unless there are special finishing steps. 303 & 304 are so similar (and prone to galling) that I doubt you will see any difference. Are the parts lubricated prior to press fit? Good high pressure lubricants will prevent galling.

I agree with dgallup there likely won't be much difference. Just make sure the parts are finished to the correct roughness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back