Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

304 vs 316 stainless steel 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Noordel

Mechanical
Jan 27, 2019
US
Hello,

I'm looking to find a sound reason to use 304 or 316 stainless steel pipes and fittings for a plumbing system. The product we are pumping through the pipes has a Safety Data Sheet.

As an M.E. just starting out, what tools can I use to confirm these pipes will not corrode?

Thank you

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

300 series stainless steel is not suitable for all liquids. In particular bleach or sodium hypocrite will leach out the nickle and leave you with a porous mess.

The fluid has a safety data sheet which tells you the compounds in the mix. That tells me you need to lookup the corrosion resistance sheets of the pipe or 300 series stainless steel you want to use and try to find the chemical group or compounds that have been tested against the pipe.

Also your senior engineers in your jurisdiction should point you in the process pipe code to follow. If the fluid is full of dangerous chemicals the system would need to be approved by a governing authority in your jurisdiction.

Many resources, such as:
- Company engineering design documents of the operation plants for the material selection.
- Material selection guides from the EPC Engineering Firms
- Corrosion Data Survey by NACE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back