Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

30NCD12 Trf. Bon(R118-134) alternate

Status
Not open for further replies.

rayhawk

Aerospace
Nov 2, 2006
US
I am working on a job that specifies the above mentioned material (or 30NCD16 Bon. A Spec. AIR9160). I need to purchase 2" round bar and need a readily available alternative material. If anyone has the details for this material or can tell me where to find the specs it would be appreciated. I am hoping the R118-134 or the AIR9160 also specifies the condition/temper as well, as I don't have any further information on the requirements than I have listed here.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you want a US supplier, then LESCALLOY® 35NCD16 VAC-ARC® from Latrobe Steel is probably your only choice. The nominal C concentration is a little higher than 30NCD16, but there should not be any problem with its service performance. Here is a link with some additional information from Latrobe:

There are several European producers of this grade, including Corus, Ugitech, DEW, and probably Aubert + Duval. It is stocked by some aero service centers in Europe.

Thanks for the supplier info. Is there any way to know the heat treat based on the information given? I will give them a call and see what they have to say.

I think the designation "R118-134" is supposed to indicate the ultimate tensile strength, which is often denoted by R[sub]m[/sub] in European specifications. Typically this steel would be quenched and tempered to a strength range of ~ 1100-1380 MPa (160-180 ksi), so perhaps R118-134 means 1180-1340 MPa. The AECMA organization( that issues standards like AIR1960 is currently not functioning, so I don't know how you can verify this without contacting the customer who originated the drawing. Another thread here at Eng-Tips discussed 30NCD16 in the past:

thread330-113770

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back