Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

316 SS Allowable Stress

Status
Not open for further replies.

CharlieH

Mechanical
Mar 23, 2005
US
Do you know of a website that lists properties of various stainless steels?

I am specifically looking for the allowable bending stress and allowable shear stress of 316 SS.

Is there ever an occassion where people design to the ultimate tensile strength limit as opposed to the yield strength?

Do the stress values presented in textbooks generally include a safety factor? I assume not, but wanted to get input from others!!!

Thanks for your assistance,
Charlie

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I believe the ultimate tensile for 316SS is 58 ksi and the shear stress is 60% of this amount. The yield for 316 SS is 30ksi. I do not know a good website for this. I would love to find one...

The ultimate and yield strengths of stainless steels (including 316) vary depending on the alloy and the finishing conditions, whether cold worked or annealed. If it is cold worked, it has a much higher strength. You'll need to know these things before you start designing to any limits.

For material properties go to

I think the allowables will depend on the application as well- seems like values for flanges are lower than for plate, for example.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back