Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

316L Nace specification 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

davidmoul

Materials
Jun 20, 2008
FR
Hi guys,

I'm writting a specification in order to get some 316L material for NACE application.

In the norm MR0175, it is specified that martensite content of this grade has to be kept under a certain amount. I'm trying to fix the value, but I'm not finding any information about this.

Does anyone know:

- The level of Martensite generally observed in such grade (wrought alloy)
- Some literature about the influence of this phase in the corrosion resistance of the 316L
- A reasonnable limit to fix in order to procure some material (I know that the less is the better, but I want it to be realistic and I don't want to look for a chimere...)

Many thanks for your help!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

NACE MR0175/ISO 15156 316 Stainless Material

Type 316L can contain martensite only if it's severely deformed. In NACE / ISO is stated that the SS shall be free of cold work intended to increase hte mechanical properties.
I think that if you follow all the requirements of the standard, heat treatment, hardness.. you'll have no problem of martensite formation.
In the norm is written that a limit on martentisite shloud be considered so is not a strict requirements.

S

Corrosion Prevention & Corrosion Control

Thank you. I as not sure for this. I've seen that the martensite content "should be" limited. I was not sure about the martensite content that could be found into the 316L. Schaeffler diagramm indicate that 316L is far 100% austenitic, I was wondering when can martensite appears.

Many thanks for your valuable help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back