Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

32" nozzle on 60" head 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anand23404

Mechanical
Jan 31, 2012
IN
What problems shall i face if i design an exchanger with a nozzle of 32" mounted on ellipsoidal head of 60"?
shell side pressure (cooling water) =10kg/cm2.
channel side pressure (CO2) =3.5 kg/cm2.
MOC= SS.
Degign temp= 65 degree.

regrds

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Anand23404, only real I know of problem is likely to be reinforcement of the opening. This may require either / or thicker head than that required for pressure only, thicker nozzle wall than otherwise required, or perhaps both. Pads on openings in heads are rarely practical.

Assuming you are under Sec VIII, Div 1:

As opening reinforcement exceeds 80% head diameter, you will need to pay attention to definition of tr in UG-37 when calculating head thickness required.

Alternatively, you can use a conical reducer, but will need to account for reinforcement, as per UG-36 (e) and (f).

Regards,

Mike

The problem with sloppy work is that the supply FAR EXCEEDS the demand

Suggest that you check the per-tube liquid velocity in both the HX and in the cooling water piping.

With a 60/32 ratio, I suspect that either the per-tube velocity may be low (danger of laminar flow ?) or the velocity of the cooling water in the piping may be high.

I also strongly agree that conical channels to your HX is the more commonly selected solution (forget the ellipsoidal head) Conical heads are probably cheaper to fabricate also.

Is this a TEMA BEM heat exchanger ?

MJCronin
Sr. Process Engineer

Regardless of how the process data sheet was spec'ed out... This seems to be a better application for a conical reducer to flange rather than a 2:1 SE to a nozzle. Mechanically better, flow is better, cost is probably better. Depending on pressure, you might even be able to make a greater than 30° cone angle make sense - but easier to keep it at 29°!

Thank you all for your valuable responses.
what other conditions that i will have to take care if i select nozzle on head?
The selection of nozzle on ellipsoidal head is due to space constrain.
Yes it is a TEMA BEM exchanger.

rgrds

Anand23404, it can be done. You just have to meet the Code rules (whatever your Code is) for nozzle reinforcement.

Regards,

Mike

The problem with sloppy work is that the supply FAR EXCEEDS the demand

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back