Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

3412 Cats

Status
Not open for further replies.

trainwreck

Marine/Ocean
Nov 21, 2009
US
anyone have any tips or tricks for them? i'm on a triple screw and frankly the poor bastards are slap worn out with no chance of a rebuild in sight. thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Overhaul the fuel system and heads, and run the thickest oil you can in the crankcase. Maybe a 50/50 mix of oil and STP. Or swap out one with an overhauled unit so at least one will be reliable when the others decide to take a rest.

unfortunately, those aren't options for me. my company isn't going to put up the money to overhaul the heads, let alone swing an engine. i pretty much have to keep them running on zero support from the office. we don't swing an engine unless it blows up. no joke.

No budget and no management support??
Schedule your holidays during the bad weather season.

Bill
--------------------
"Why not the best?"
Jimmy Carter

duty company :
-make profit
-run fleet with respect to rules and regulations (solas,insurance,flag state,...)
duty captain (amongst other things):
-represent intrest company O/B ship
duty chief engineer (amongst other things):
-safeguard the ship and its crew through improvement of reliability
-communicate gaps with regards to solas,insurance,flag state,...(captain verbally/company written)
TIPS:
-do oil bath,oil filter and fuel filter changes as per manual but spread intervals evenly between the three machines
-prepare yourself for the worst:
what do I do
if an engine catches fire
if an engine looses oil
if a turbine over heats
if an engine doesn't start @ departure
if a cooling pump leaks
if a fuel filter clogs
drill your required actions (any action more complicated than counting to three should be reconsidered with regards to stress impact in reel situation)
-investigate possible failures and their impact (FMEA)starting with single point failures with impact on three machines (fuel supply,common aux.machinery,...)
until single point failures of ship (ship and tank integrity,shaft seals...)
include human error in the investigation.
-keep a written log of your actions (requirement)
-ask for a pay raise!

thanks for the advice. i'd go to another boat, but there isn't one available that needs a chief. i'd go to another company, but unlicensed 100 ton engineers are a dime a dozen right now and jobs are kinda scarce. i'm waiting to get on a 100 ton steel hull twin screw utility boat that my company is supposed to be getting soon. until then, i'll just be enjoying the weather in scenic veince louisiana on a 100 ton beer can.

In the US as long as it's under 100 tons you don't need a license to be the engineer. If you have an MMD you can work on a 100 plus ton vessel as a wiper. After that it's QMED and then you get into your DDE horsepower ratings, 1000 hp, 4000 hp, and 10000/unlimited hp. I've got the sea time for my QMED, right now i just need the cash to get my license.

Hi trainwreck
I haven't had any experience with 3412's but have with other Caterpillar engines and my advise would be to contact Cat themselves and ask them. In my experience they are quite proud of their engines and are one of the best companies to deal with.

We had an overheat problem with an engine that no-one seemed able to figure out, they spent hours trying to figure the problem then pulled the engine (with the caveat that if the engine was at fault they would pay but if the boat was causing the overheat we would) and put it on a dyno at their own expense. They finally found the problem was with the engine, and paid for everything.

Quite exceptional really in this era of poor service.

If they are anything like the old 3406's, bearings and lifter bores where a problem. I agree with Aviator Jim, though not so much STP.

thanks for the tips. as far as the oil goes i'm running straight rotella t 15W 40 right now in the engines and straight 40W in the clutches which are ZF's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back