Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

345kV Ring Bus Extension, GIS

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyriousn

Electrical
Jul 19, 2017
US
Hi everyone, I've been tasked with trying to figure out a way to extend an existing air insulated 345kV ring bus in a congested substation. There is not enough room to extend it with air insulated equipment so I'm left wondering if it could be done with exterior GIS equipment. Each end of the extension would be tied into the existing 345kv high-bus and there would be two underground lines coming up in between. The two lines coming up are both generating sources so we may need two breakers in between those sources. We only have about 250 x 60 ft to work with. This is my first time looking into GIS so any help would be much appreciated getting a reality check on the footprint I'm looking at here.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Can you build up or down? You should really consult with a GIS vendor to see what’s possible. Where do plan to split the ring to add?

Several years ago when I looked at GIS for a 230 kV project, several vendors were quick to mock up a CAD layout. The GIS gear itself is pretty compact as long as you have room for the bushings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back