Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

3D Equation Curve

Status
Not open for further replies.

cadmate

Mechanical
May 5, 2005
GB
Hello, (Inventor 2013 suite) I am trying to create a variable pitch worm screw,so went about trying the 3D Equation Curve with a view to sweep a cut down the length of a shaft, the 3D curve looks ok, pretty much what i wanted, but when i created a sketch to sweep/cut the end result went haywire, nothing like what i wanted.
Is 3D Equation Curve the right way to achive a variable pitch screw?
Thanks in advance

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Trying to envision what you are trying to do...Is the cutter shape for the screw always the same, just the pitch varies? So, you created a 3d curve of the variable-pitch helix? Via importing points and fitting a spline? Or...?

Did you try specifying the cut profile sketch to stay perpendicular to the shaft axis?

I don't know much about the 3D equation curve tool...I would have tried to make the part with a sequence of linked helices (helix-es?).

Hi folks, think i have cracked it, check attachment, only thing is coil 1 the sketch shows a rectangle which is fine, but what i wanted to do was to radius the internal corner starting with R1=30 and at the end R2=15, a 'variable rad', but Inventor would not let me do this, so coil 28 shows a Rad of 30R which is constant down the length.
Its the best I can do at the moment!

Thanks anyway for the input :)

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=537b7762-3083-452d-8817-9ed203a550a1&file=Part5.ipt
I do not use Inventor but I do use ACAD.None theless reading your OP, it dawn on me that may be you could UNION two or three separate segments to form the whole wood auger, if the UNION command exist in Inventor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back