Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

3D modeling for structures with moving elements

Status
Not open for further replies.

Everydaylearning

Structural
Jan 8, 2019
US
Does anyone know of a good Autodesk workflow for designing a structure with moving elements, such as a drawbridge, or a dome with a retractable roof? Is there a way to use Revit as the base design program for all of the structure and still design all of the moving parts and simulate motion? Inventor is good at making the mechanical parts and Revit is good at making the structure, but I have not identified a good way to make these structures communicate in a two-way fashion that would be required.

How are projects like this typically modeled?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I don't know if Revit can do it, but in Bricscad you probably can. If you combine the mechanical and BIM modules, you'll probably be able to do it entirely in the same dwg environment.
Try to contact the Bricsys team. They are usually very responsive.

We really want to stay inside of Autodesk. I did see that "moving" families can be made inside of inventor that can be set with certain parameters that control movement in the full model. Has anybody had any experience using that workflow? I assumed structural members would lose their "intelligence" if a group of them were in a family.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back