Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

3d Modeling from Images

Status
Not open for further replies.

indedlokcathexis

Bioengineer
Oct 11, 2006
US
I'm trying to create a model of an object for finite element analysis. I have 15 or so images of this object taken from various viewpoints. Could anyone tell me what the most effective and accurate way of creating the model would be? Thanks a lot.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Could try multiple surfaces (oriented as needed to correspond with the photos) and then you could "hide/show" the surfaces you needed to work with. You may want to take the images into photoshop and warp them a bit to try to remove some of the perspective.

Another thing that I've done in the past is to use Rhino (assuming you have a copy) and generate curves in Rhino. I bring in the background image, generate some curves, pull those into pro/e and use them as guide curves (no references so you can delete them later).

------------
Jason Williams
K Development, Inc.

place 3 viws of the object in 3 isometric planes (top, front, side) and then use free style surface.

other programs (3d studio, lightwave, maya, cinema 4D, rhino and so on) can manage much much better surface manipulations. These programs were created for this kind of thins. The problem is you will not be able to export from them to ProE as a solid or at least as quadric surfaces. You will end-up with 3 point faces.

Godd luck

-Hora

I've made a lot of progress thanks to the advice you guys have given me, however, I'm running into a very annoying problem. The answer is probably so simple, but how do get rid of the images after you are done with them? When I go back into the trace sketch menu, the images don't register as being attached to any of the planes, so I can only add new images, not delete the ones that are cluttering my screen.

By the way - did you know that you could add other planes - not just the 3 default planes. Create the planes before the style feature, then when in the Trace Sketch menu, click the + button, and select the new plane.

The process that I think you want to perform (measuring a 3d object from photos) is called photogrammetry. There is a piece of software called PhotoModeler Pro that will do it. I think it's about $1200. You select descrete points that are visible in multiple views and will then back calculate the camera positions and locate the points in 3d space.

Photogrammetry will give you a more accurate model because it will take into account the lens distortions. It is also not required that the views be from any particular orientation.

If you just need a quick model and have ortho views, then what others have described here will be much simpler.
If you have access to the object, then take the picture from as far away as possible with maximum zoom to reduce distortion.

-b

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back