Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

3D print plastic fuel cap, thread callout?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VmaxVboost

Aerospace
Jul 29, 2007
US
I want to 3D print another plastic fuel cap, roughly 3" in diameter, reverse engineering an existing cap.

The existing cap has internal threads that screw onto the neck of a plastic fuel tank.

How do I get the thread callout for these interior threads?
Since it is not a standard bolt or screw, what are the clicks in Solidworks to reproduce these threads?

Thanks,
Brian
San Diego, CA

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Insert, feature, thread.
Sometimes trial and error to make thread print to work properly.
You may have to do some searching to find what size thread. If it's not a thread included in SW, you can create it in the feature.

ctopher, CSWP
SolidWorks '19
ctophers home
SolidWorks Legion

VmaxVboost,

It does not matter. You need to model the threads. The call-up is only relevant if a worker must select a tap, or set up a lathe.

Is your 3D printing process FDM? How well do you think that basket weave printing pattern will seal?

--
JHG

I know 3D printing has come a long way but I wouldn't think a 3D printer plastic would be able o tolerate the fumes of fuel. That's just my observation.

I think ctopher solution would be the best IMHO. -

OT: ctopher you need to contact me again... I lost your email and I did not find it on your website.

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
CAD Systems Manager
Dapco, INC

"If it's not broke, Don't fix it!"
faq731-376

SBaugh said:
I know 3D printing has come a long way but I wouldn't think a 3D printer plastic would be able o tolerate the fumes of fuel. That's just my observation.

I was going to point that out too, but there are safe thermoplastics. They blow mould gasoline containers. You can FDM print with nylon. If he uses the wrong plastic, he is in trouble.

--
JHG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back