Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

3D Printing appears to be moving into true Additive Manufacturing...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It's been around for a few years, but the technology has been slow to adapt to real world mfg.
My son has his PhD in materials science. He worked on a 3D printer that used titanium powder to print parts, and controlled the grain structure at the same time.

Chris, CSWP
SolidWorks '16
ctophers home
SolidWorks Legion

Yes, I'm aware of how long 3D-Printing, what was then called 'Rapid Prototyping', has been around as I was the Product Manager for our first software interface product back in the late 80's. And you're right, it took a while for the technology to start making a significant impact, but like many emerging technologies, some people saw the potential long before the general public had even heard of it and I was always proud of the fact that our company was one of them, even if we had to depend on our customers to truly leverage what it could do.

John R. Baker, P.E. (ret)
EX-Product 'Evangelist'
Irvine, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

The secret of life is not finding someone to live with
It's finding someone you can't live without

One often trotted out example of 3D printing production is the Boeing 747 hold door brackets. They cut the price in half and the weight something like to a quarter by 3D printing the part allowing hollow volume.

Boeing uses twenty thousand different printed parts in their 10 production programs.

Keith Cress
kcress -

That's what I like about E. Musk, he's not afraid to move forward.
Boeing has been around for so long, and they are set in their ways, they are slow at moving forward.
I saw this when I worked there. Most cool R&D stopped when they bought McD.

Chris, CSWP
SolidWorks '16
ctophers home
SolidWorks Legion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back