3D Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mitsu50

Mechanical
Jun 26, 2003
US
Hi,

I'm having a problem with autocad 2000 (I know its way old, but the piping program we use is old and doesn't support new autocad programs. anyway when i am looking at the 3d model from an iso type view, i cant snap to any points in 3d space. i can stretch them, and move once drawn. Is there a system variable that i'm missing? We also use acad 2004, and this is not a problem. was this perhaps fixed in later versions? Thanks in advance!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

We use AutoCad 2000 also, and we have this problem you describe only when looking at paper space. Are you looking at paper space instead of model space?

Sometimes when doing 3D the osnap marker will display at the current elevation rather than at the point you're snapping to.

If you're snapping to an endpoint at 10,10,10 and your elevation is set to 0, the osnap marker will display at 10,10,0 but it will pick up the point at 10,10,10. Not sure if this happens all the time in 2000, but in 2005 it happens when picking a destination point. (like where to copy an object to).

Hope this helps

this is what i'm talking about, but when the software draws the length of pipe in the z direction, it wont do it since it snaps to the 0 elevation in the z axis

go to tools/drafting settings and select snap using all polar angles.
make sure you have your object enabled, and if you are attempting to snap within a block, one must make allowances for these things....

I am not certain of your situation, but will assume that the pipe drawing is modeled in 3d.

I am on Acad 2002 and do extensive 3d design. I occasionally have problems snapping to objects, especially as the drawing gets large. But, it can certainly happen on a small drawing as well. Sometimes reducing the number of running-osnaps will make it easier for AutoCAD to figgure out the snap.

I've also had much more problems snapping to ACIS solids (what AutoCAD terms 3DSolids.). Sometimes in a block I will create objects just to make it easier for AutoCAD to find. Ends of lines seem to be the easiest thing to find.

Joe Dunfee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back