Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

3D Shading + Plotting

Status
Not open for further replies.

dizzy

Mechanical
Jul 2, 2002
CA
Hi all,

I am using autoCad 2000, and after designing a 3D object and shading (gouraud) it, everytime i goto plot the shaded object, all i get is wiremesh object...???!!!!

Can someone please tell me, what am I doing wrong, what I am trying to achieve is, plotting the object in color as it looks like on my screen, shaded either in model or paperspace.

Thank you

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You can't do that in Autocad. What you need to do is to render to a file, and then use whatever graphics viewing program you have that can view BMP, JPG, TIFF, etc., and print from it.

Or, you can take your rendered graphics file and paste it into an Autocad drawing in its own viewport.

YOU CAN VIEW YOUR RENDERS IN AUTOCAD BY CHOOSING INSERT THEN PICK RASTER IMAGE. YOU CAN INSERT ALMOST ANY FILE THAT IS IMAGINEABLE THIS WAY.

When u render your model, in the render window change the render destination from viewport to file, or render window, that will make u have a picture format file ( like bmp, jpg, etc.. ) in that file your rendered model then u insert that file in your drawing , from menu>> insert>> raster image, then pick your file, now u got the picture file u just make in your drawing

Pea$e

This subject has puzzled me for years. Why would Autocad not provide the ability to plot a rendered image yet allow plotting of inserted raster images. The solutions above are good, but to make life a little easier, I just "Ctrl-printscreen" and "past-special" back into Autocad using the "image entity" option and then croping the image as required. This keeps me from having to open aditional software or creating temparary files.

hope this helps.

Andy

In a nutshell: under "render" select your desired material from the materials library, select and place your 3 light sources (just like in a photo shoot), set the values for your desired shading and shadowing effects. Render and save the rendered file into bmp, jpg or other. (I use bmp, but many others use jpg.) The bmp file can be inserted into emails, ms word docs, or other bmp files. To print, just print the bmp file through windows. If you have an AutoDesk vender or user group nearby, go and see if thay can give you a lesson. Its not that hard. And the pictures are worth it. Good Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back