Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

3D translation software 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

chadzeilenga

Mechanical
Jan 27, 2003
US
Hello,
We are an automotive supplier trying to find a 3D translation software that will accomodate all of our customers and have not had much luck searching. We currently use SolidWorks to do all of our 3D design. We have customers who are sending us 3D in a variety of formats which they feel it is our job to translate and they are also demanding 3D models from us in a variety of formats aside from the common STEP or IGES formats. Does anyone have any experience with any translation software that they would recommend. I have found 2 programs that seem like they will work good but each is missing one component. TransMagic is unable to work with IDEAS files and Delcam PS-exchange is unable to export CATIA V4.

Chad

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Unfortunately with some of our customers it is the other way around. Most of our customers are pretty reasonable, but some are very adamant about what file types they will accept or they will go elsewhere with their business...

Chad

IMO, those are the companies that don't last or the contact person doesn't know what he/she is doing.
Send them various types of formats from SW and ask them to try each one. I have been thry this and 99% of the time works. I am not familiar with 3rd party software that will do what they want.
Good luck.

Chris
Sr. Mechanical Designer, CAD
SolidWorks 05 SP1.1 / PDMWorks 05
ctopher's home site

We tried that for a while and it worked fine. We were sending them STEP 203 files but they then decided that they were only going to accept CATIA V4 files. Any translation that we need to do is our cost of doing business with them. Fortunately we do enough business that we can justify the cost of the translation, but finding the program that can accomodate all of our customers has been the challenge.

Chad

What is a .cgr file? Is it like a 3D surfaces file similar to an IGES file only cleaner? Their IT department were the ones to make the decision and they want 3D solids in native Catia format only. *.model only. Unfortunately there isn't any room for negotiation right now, we tried that.

Chad

If you go to a part or assy in SolidWorks, do "save as" and under type, select Catia Graphics .cgr. Send it to them and see if it works. I have not tried it, my customers usually want step or iges.

Chris
Sr. Mechanical Designer, CAD
SolidWorks 05 SP1.1 / PDMWorks 05
ctopher's home site

One software that you should consider for translating your models is Cadfix, it has native read and write facilities for most of the major CAD systems. I have tried with many softwares to import difficult 3D solids in various formats and found that Cadfix easily out performs all the others.

And NO, I do not work for or sell on behalf of Cadfix, I am just a humble but very satisfied user!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back