Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

4 pole fused disconnect (for Europe) make any sense?

Status
Not open for further replies.

N9NEO

Electrical
Jun 20, 2013
US
I am working on a power distribution panel which will be marketed in Europe. The power line is 3 phase Wye. My group leader has asked me to research disconnect options. He asked me if we should use a 4 pole fused disconnect.

My gut tells me that you may not want to fuse neutral. Would I be better to use a 4 pole non-fused disconnect and a 3 pole fuse block with FRS-R125 fuses in order to meet code?

We are putting 4 pole breakers on the output. I figure current-limiting fuses would allow me to use output breakers with lower short-circuit ratings and save me a few bucks.

Thank you for your help.

Regards,
Bob
N9NEO

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Have a look and EN60204
As far as I recall disconnection of the neutral is mandatory in France and Norway for a TN-S system.

If you have a PEN conductor you do not want to disconnect the neurtal as it is also your protective conductor

Often manufacturers install a 4 Pole Disconnect and then allow the user to connect the "live" side of the neutral to earth using a removable link.
Make sure you instruction manual exlains how to do that.

If you go with a 3pole you would have to forbid use in a TN-S system and clearly state so in the manual

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back