Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

4/rev HUB LOADS 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

aeroaero

Aerospace
Nov 14, 2005
US
Hi all,

Can someone explain to me briefly as to what 4/rev hub loads mean exactly ?? I know that I will see 4 wavelengths in the response if it is 4/rev and similarly for other kinds of response. But, I don't understand the physical significance behind this. Why am I seeing 4 wavelengths in the case of a 4-bladed rotor's hub loads and for that matter even higher harmonics hidden ? Can someone throw more light on this ?

Thanks,
aeroaero

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

as the downwash from each rotor hits the boom it generates a lump of harder air (sort of). Since there are 4 blades that means in one rev you get 4 impacts from this. The same applies to any other non uniformity that occurs once per revolution for each blade. All these forces add together vectorially (depending on their phase angles and magnitudes) but for very fundamental reasons they still result in a 4 per rev excitation. Higher frequencies are also generated but in the absence of anything strange they will always be at a multiple of the number of blades. Blade to blade variation will cause vibartions at all multiples of one per rev.

wavelengths doesn't come into it.

Cheers

Greg Locock

Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back