Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

4 Wire Wye Connection 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bronco425

Electrical
Apr 9, 2010
US
I am currently working with a 3 wire Y connection and am debating adding a wire to ground the neutral point. I am doing failure analysis that can result in "explosions" due to arcing from welded contacts. My understanding is that the 4th line would act as a safety for when the phases become unbalanced. Would this also reduce the "exploding" effect when there is a failure?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

No offense, but if you are doing an "analysis" of a failure as an "expert", this question is too scary to be asked by someone investigating "explosion." Please get help of a professional engineer.

Plus there is not enough info to even comment.

Rafiq Bulsara

Your question indicates a lack of familiarity with electrical codes and practice. There may be no stupid questions but som,e questions may indicate that the questioner nas neither the experience nor the knowledge to do what he is doing. On a positive note, buy a copy of the National Electric Code and read it. (And read it).

Bill
--------------------
"Why not the best?"
Jimmy Carter

I am not an Electrician wiring these connections for everyday use. The units are beings tested in a lab in which they are supplied with power well above the rated values to induce a failure. I was just looking for a way to ease the effect of the failure.

Still scary.
Proper test procedures should not lead to explosions. There are test methods that will in most cases anticipate failure before an actual explosion. (The onset of saturation is often a good indicater that there is nothing to be gained but an explosion be continuing the test).
Most proffesionals use some method to limit the fault current and resulting damage when conducting over voltage tests.
Many of us here are not impressed by "Myth busters".

Bill
--------------------
"Why not the best?"
Jimmy Carter

Time to quite that job and work some where safe. Some employers are just dumb. don't do the same thing , get out before you hurt or kill yourself. I know it hard to quite in these hard times but it better to walk away before you get injured.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back