Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

40 MVA Generator Transformer Weight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snippet

Electrical
Mar 12, 2010
BT
Hi everyone, Can anyone tell me how to roughly approximate the weight and dimension of single phase ,40 MVA , 11 (or) 13. 8 kV/ 220 kV Generator transformer without going into nitty gritty calculations?I want the information to check the feasibility of transportation by road. Maybe if you all do know some reference standard??

I would appreciate your help.

"Common sense is genius dressed in its working clothes." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You should check with the manufacturer. I installed a 40 MVA substation transformer a few years ago. It weighed about 60 tons as I remember. At that weight, it was transported by road but required special permits. You should check the exact weight with the manufacturer and then check the capacity of any bridges that it must cross. There may be a wide variation in weights between different 40 MVA transformers, and your proposed transformer may be heavier.

Bill
--------------------
"Why not the best?"
Jimmy Carter

Depends heavily on the manufacturer, and also on the cooling type, and the system frequency.

I think Bill is pretty close with his estimate - an ABB Nitran 275/11.47kV 36MVA 50Hz ONAF design weighed in at 62 tonnes transport mass, with the assembled service mass being roughly 100 tonnes.

----------------------------------
image.php

If we learn from our mistakes I'm getting a great education!

Generally :
Total weight of such a transformer s (approx)=70,200 Kg
Transfer weight without oil =48,500 Kg
Transfer weight with oil= 66,200 Kg
However it all depands on the manufacturer. But this can give you an idea.

Bill, Scotty & mns15451, thank you so much! I appreciate your help.

Good day Sir(s)!

"Common sense is genius dressed in its working clothes." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back