Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

400V NEMA Motors connected to IEC network

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElecDar

Electrical
Mar 27, 2002
EG
I know that there is a difference between motors designed to IEC and NEMA, my question is there any IEC requirements that prevent the connection of 400V (60 Hz) NEMA motor (e.g. HVAC equipment) to a network 400/230V 60HZ designed based on IEC.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

As far as I'm aware, there is nothing in the IEC standards that will prevent you from hooking up a NEMA motor to an IEC system. In fact, I don't think there are any requirements in the IEC standards preventing the connection of any load.

However, you'll need to check with your site / client standards and possibly local regulations if they have specific design requirements.

I understand your argument but just for example, it may be irrelevant; there is a different requirement for the temperature rise of the MCCB wiring terminal between UL and IEC.
Is there a similar case with the motors..

You still need to assure that the devices are applied so that their ratings, electrical or physical (temperature rise, etc.), regardless of which standards they are made to. A 40 deg C rise in NEMA is no different than 40 deg C rise in IEC!

I would agree with juleselec.

Plus the standards such as IEC, NEMA, UL, IEEE or even NFPA are not "laws" or "regulations" by themselves, unless specifically referenced in local codes and laws.

No sane code or regulation prohibits proper engineering, whose basic principles do not change by location. However there could be minimum Code requirements that may exceed some bare bone engineering calculations and needs to be adhered to.

Rafiq Bulsara

Thanks rbulsara,

But I meant the MCCB copper terminal temperature not the ambient temperature.

Meanwhile I noticed that American manufacturers (e.g. ETON, GE..) are producing MCCB to IEC but not a complete switchgear, are you aware of any American manufacturers who produce form 4 LV switchgear to IEC EN 60439.

elecdar:
What about the terminal temperature? That is one of the ratings you need to watch out for, just like those for conductors.

As for IEC rated switchgear, I have not personally investigated but those mfrs you mentioned are global companies and sell (and even mfr) their equipment in IEC world, so I cannot imagine they do not have what you are looking for. You may need to contact their European offices or right people in America.

Also what is your definition of American? Many American companies are owned by European companies among others. Where is your project located?

Rafiq Bulsara

EN 60439 has been superceded and will be retired after an overlap period with the new standard EN 61439. There are some fairly significant changes. Make sure your specification is clear on what you want in terms of performance and features - you can't just write 'must comply with EN 61439' and hope for the best.

Powell's subsidiary S&I at Bradford are a well-known British manufacturer. They ain't my favourite manufacturer to be honest but they are popular and strike a reasonable balance between cost and quality.

The multinationals such as ABB, Siemens, Schneider all have IEC switchgear too.

----------------------------------
image.php

If we learn from our mistakes I'm getting a great education!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back