Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

4160V motor RTD monitoring

Status
Not open for further replies.

ngs

Electrical
Apr 27, 2004
US
Anyone

Looking for suggestions on how I can setup monitoring equipment to monitor continuous temperature for a 4160V motor via 10 ohm RTD.
Currently, I am looking at terminating the RTD leads to a signal conditioner, 24VDC power supply, and an 8 channel voltage logger. OMEGA part#: OM-CPOCTVOLT

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If this is for motor protection, and you can afford it, I suggest using an RTD motor monitor or a Motor Protection Relay that can accept RTD inputs. They incorporate additional features such as broken wire detection, voting and data logging that can be very useful on large AC machine operations.

Eng-Tips: Help for your job, not for your homework Read faq731-376 [pirate]

If this is for motor protection, and you can afford it...

When making the judgement on being able to afford an MPR or not, consider the cost of a stator rewind or a new motor. Good MPR's are expensive, but far cheaper than the alternative!

----------------------------------
image.php
I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy it...

I would suggest a product from Multilin (GE). They have the relay with RTD inputs and can be talked to through a network to log all the data and more that you seek.

JTK

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back