Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

485 Grounding In Harness With Power and Ground Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmeyer84

Electrical
Aug 28, 2009
US
I am working on developing a system including a RS485 network. All microcontroller-based devices will be powered by a 24VDC lead acid battery system. Each system will contain a RS485 driver powered by an a 5V DC-DC buck converter. The device in question will be added to the end of a network, so the termination resistor will be built in.

I would like to power(battery supply and ground) and communicate(RS485 A and B) using the same harness and connector(4 conductor).

My question are:

1) Is a two-pair RS-485 cable harness sufficient for this application? Two conductors would be 485 twisted pair and the other two would be supply and ground. The conductors would be 22AWG. Max current would be 1.5A. Nominal current is about 50 mA.

2) Would the RS-485 twisted pair have to be separately shielded from the conductors supplying the power?

Thank you all for taking the time to read this post.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

For any typical system, you could run power next to the data line without much issue, but you need to make sure the data line is twisted appropriately and the power line is not.

Dan - Owner
Footwell%20Animation%20Tiny.gif

The distance will be about 4 feet 99% of the time. There will be situations where we'll have to run about 20-25 feet.

Data rates will be 115kbps or lower, half-duplex.

Why can't the power and ground cables be twisted?

The power/ground can be twisted together (though to what purpose, other than convenience of using a pre-twisted cable, I have no idea), but should not be twisted with the comm lines... that would allow any power line noise to be induced directly into the comm lines.

Dan - Owner
Footwell%20Animation%20Tiny.gif

Thanks for the info. The reason I ask is for the selection of a cable. A two-pair 22AWG is fairly common from what I am finding. If I could use one pair for power/ground and the other for half-duplex 485, that would be ideal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back