Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

49 CFR Subchapter C Subpart J

Status
Not open for further replies.

metman

Materials
Feb 18, 2002
US
My only question here is; What does the abbreviation IBR mean? IBR is just inside the parentheses after (a).

49 CFR § 178.345-2 Material and material thickness.

(a)All material for shell, heads, bulkheads, and baffles must conform to Section II of the ASME Code (IBR, see §171.7 of this subchapter) except as follows:

Following is excerpted from a table in 171.7 that references 178.345-2 plus a multitude of other references included in this subchapter

Source and name of material
‘ASME Code’; ASME Code, Sections II (Parts A and B), V, VIII (Division 1), and IX of 1998 Edition
of American Society of Mechanical Engineers Boiler and Pressure Vessel Code.

Design for RELIABILITY, manufacturability, and maintainability

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thank you so much DRWeig. And of course IBR means that we must also conform to the referenced section.

Yes, the IBR actually makes the text of the code an actual part of the regulation, to save actually copying it into the federal document.

Good on ya,

Goober Dave

Haven't see the forum policies? Do so now: Forum Policies

XL83NL,
Your 2 cents just got leveraged into an ivalualble find for me. Your comment made me think about a book that I inherited from a retireing co-worker "many moons ago." DESIGN OF WELDMNTS by Blodgett published by the James F. Lincoln Welding Faoundation.

during my search a few weeks ago for info on bending-stress-for-welds-treated-as-a-line, I came across an illustration of rigidly fixed beam at either end with concentrated load at the center. This is basic strength of materials but I have never had occasion to apply it. The bending momnent diagram gives two symmetrical inflection points where the moment is ZERO. Bodgett gives two examples one is a bolted connection and the other is a recangluar "steam" chest where the weld joints are not placed at the coners nor centers rather between the centers and corners where the bending moment is zero.

At the time of this search, desertfox -- here on tips -- referred to Blodgett and to Schaums Machine Design. I said that I did not have Boldgett but I knew that I had Schaums and it answered my needs beautifully. I had not ever paid attention to the author of DESIGN OF WELDMNTS until I began to resopond to your comment about boilers. So now I know that I do have Blodgett thanks to you. And that's the rest of the story as Paul Harvey would say.

You're welcome from me, too, metman. I had the exact same question that you posted, many years ago. I always dread any work that forces me to actually read a piece of the CFR. [thumbsup2]

Good on ya,

Goober Dave

Haven't see the forum policies? Do so now: Forum Policies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back