Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

4x6 wood post splice

Status
Not open for further replies.

m1208

Structural
Apr 6, 2011
US
I have a four story building and need 4x6 post under the roof beam to go to the foundation. I need to splice the post at the second floor level because of the length of the post (approximately 40'). The floors provide lateral support for the post at the floor levels. Any easy detail to splice the 4x6 post at the mid span?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

First of all, why is it necessary in this case to splice the wood post at the second floor only? Why not platform framed at each level?

I agree with AELLC. Other than just using the full length of the post, is there another reason for needing a splice at midspan? Seems like an odd requirement for framing.

Usually though, if platform framing is used, the first two levels are platform framed and the next two are standard framing.

Mike McCann
MMC Engineering

The floors have 2x6 diagonal decking (flat)and the 2x8 floor joists do not line-up with the post above. The upper post will rest on top of the decking (between the floor joist) and then the lower story post will butt against the floor decking. This will reduce my L/D ration on the post also (lateral bracing at the floors). I can use a BC post base/cap but it looks very weak.

Usually I will provide a splice at each floor level as others have described. When added new point loads to existing structures I will provide solid blocking under each post to transfer the load through the floor system to the post below. This is much easier than trying to get someone to get a post up tight to the underside of the floor sheathing above. As long as you have a diaphragm at each floor, I don't see why you would need a long post.

Then put blocking equal in thickness to the post thickness between the joists, and the top of the post at each level is at the bottom of the blocking. No need for hardware, just toenailed.

You cut blocking the out of the floor joist material and place along the joist header building it out past the depth required for the column or post. The blocking rest on top of the post from below and the next post above rest on top of the floor material, I think you said 2 x 6's laid flat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back