Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

5 PT 100 sensors on motor relays

Status
Not open for further replies.

pisimatza

Electrical
Nov 30, 2007
BE
Hi.
Can anyone give me the cheapest solution for a digital motor protection relay, with connection possibility for 5 PT 100 sensors ?
I have checked some relays like MM200, MM300 from Multilin, General Electric , but only 1 thermistor imput available.

Motors are 400V AC.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

All of the major manufacturers of Motor Protection Relays have, in their high-end products, options to accept motor RTDs,; either 10 or 12 inputs is common. But they are all going to cost you around $5k US and higher.

For low cost low voltage applications, the Siemens Simocode Motor Management Relay can have an expansion module attached that will accept 3 PT100 RTDs and the base unit will accept 1 additional thermistor, but to do 5 RTDs, you will need a bigger relay.

If all you want are the RTD inputs and you have another SSOL that you can use, there is a straight RTD relay that can accept up to 8 inputs, such as the Springer T-538 relay. I have used them in the past, they work great as long as you don't want high speed sensing. They use a mux to cycle through the probe inputs (and in fact, you also have to be willing to put up with the clicking sound of the mux) and it takes a few seconds for it to cycle though, even if you don't have probes hooked up to all of the inputs.

If you have something in the control system with Modbus master capability, you can also use the Startco SIO-RTD module.

You asked for motor protection relay with 5RTD inputs. None of them will be real cheap but there are a few options under $5k as jraef says.

I don't know where you are in the world but Startco ( has a MPU-32 motor protection relay that you can add a RTD module to. I think it's a fairly cheap solution.

has a motor relay and RTD module that runs about $1200 + $800.

Thank you all. It was important to know that 5k USD is the figure, i found some relays(369 from Multilin, but i thought taht 5 K is a huge figure ).

Yes, for what's in a GE Multilin relay I think they're expensive too. GE Multilin must put a lot of gold in their relays or something.

You could possibly buy a whole soft-starter with built-in motor protection (including 8 100ohm RTD) for that $5k (or not too much more) depending on the size of the motor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back