5 way Manifold Flow Meter

Status
Not open for further replies.

triviaux_1

Petroleum
Nov 15, 2016
AE
Hello,

I have a question regarding the 5 way manifold.

In my application, a multivariable transmitter will be installed on the 5-way manifold mounted into a flow meter.

Liquid samples will be taken from the 5-way manifold drain point regularly. I would like to know if there will be a risk that the multivariable transmitter could be damaged due to process fluid going into the multivariable transmitter while collecting samples through the drain port.

I have concerns about the possibility to have over the time some liquid on the diaphragm of the transmitter

Best Regards,

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Is it a liquid, or gas meter. What is the process fluid?
Generally you want yo keep liquids out of a gas meter.
A liquid knockout and filter might be appropriate, depending on the circumstances that you have not mentioned.

Details are ....?

--Einstein gave the same test to students every year. When asked why he would do something like that, "Because the answers had changed."

Thanks for your feedback, actually we have a multivariable transmitter mounted on the 5 way manifold used on a flow meter.

The process fluid is a mix of oil,gas and water. Liquid samples are taken from the 5 way manifold drain but as mentioned earlier I'm afraid that this may damage the multivariable transmitter in the long term

triv,

Can you explain / diagram / sketch / photo / link to what exactly a "5 way manifold"

And whilst you're at it what type of meter is a "multi variable transmitter".

There are multi PHASE meters which happily measure oil, water and gas. Is that what you mean?

These might be terms you're familiar with or use din your company, but they are not to me or mr 44 and we've both been around for several decades.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Indeed it is a multiphase flow meter application. The MVT is a pressure, differential pressure transmitter mounted on a 5 way manifold as shown in the picture attached.

Samples are collected from the liner circled in red from the drain of the 5 way manifold.

pic1_ugotwn.png

This is NOT a multiphase meter.

It is simply a single transmitter which measures differential pressure ( presumably across some sort of orifice plate somewhere, pressure and temperature. See the brochure below.

You then tell it what the fluid is and it gives you mass flow and volume flow. With a multi phase fluid, none of the parameters are known to any degree of accuracy. So it will give you some idea of flow rates, but multiphase is notoriously difficult to measure.

A P&ID of this mysterious thing would be nice.

Taking a sample won't do any harm to your device, but if the flow is small then it won't be metered, but samples are usually small compared to flow.

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=52dcd916-ed08-4a27-9692-8b6f463578f9&file=flyer-rosemount-3051smv-multivariable-mass-flow-transmitter-en-87122.pdf
Probably depends on the position of the sensors in relation to the drain point.
They should be located on the top of pipe, drains on bottom.
Mid level, who knows?
Give us an assembly drawing and PID.

--Einstein gave the same test to students every year. When asked why he would do something like that, "Because the answers had changed."

Just to clarify the multivariable transmitter on the 5 way manifold which measures the DP and Pressure is mounted on a multiphase flow meter which has additional components such as venturi and radioactive source.

Fair enough.

Do you have a schematic or P&ID of this manifold?

I don't understand your concern about the sensor. They are usually pretty tough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back