Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

500 Hz power transformer noise

Status
Not open for further replies.

hhhansen

Electrical
Jan 14, 2004
DK
I have performed a number of noise recordings for a 20 MVA 132/50 kV transformer, ONAN.

As expected there is a 100 Hz component and multipla of this 100+n*100 Hz due to magnetostriction etc.

However I detect a very huge 500 Hz noise component in the noise frequency spectrum. I have cross validated measurements with a consulting engineering company and they made the same conclusion regarding a dominant 500 Hz component.

This must be a symptom of something particular problem for the transformer but what??.
I have made a lot of noise recordings on similar transformers and I have never experienced a very dominant 500 Hz sound like this

Regards
Hans-Henrik

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Are you sure whether this 500 Hz component is from the core? Other vibrating fixtures on transformers also may give out noise, sometimes with a resonance frequency.

The system frequency is 50 Hz.
The 500 Hz noise is coming from internal of the transformer from my opinion. There are no loose parts exterior causing resonance

I would have also said that it was the fault of loose metal components/accessories on the tank, as suggested by prc; otherwise, the only thing that comes to mind is the presence of a very strong 5th harmonic in the load current.

If it is a core clamping issue or a windings clamping issue, do you know if the clamping system on the windings has some sort of a hydraulic compression system? The coil stack column may have shrunk due to degradation and now is loose. Helpful if we know the age of the transformer and whether it is a candidate for removal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back