Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

5356 Aluminum filler alloy

Status
Not open for further replies.

nalves

Mechanical
Apr 18, 2006
PT
I want to weld (using MIG process) an aluminum part, base alloy 6082 T6 using a 5356 filler alloy. The Production date of the filler alloy is: 11-02-93. I want to now if it still suitable for use, now days. By these meaning: If I used it, will I have full mechanical properties of the weld, as I would get with a more recent product (filler alloy)?
Over these years the filler wire has bean kept in a closet with no particular precaution concerning to room temperature or air humidity.

Thanks in advance
Regards.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I would not expect the alloy to change significantly over time. You might get some corrosion of the wire, which would produce an aluminum hydroxide corrosion product on the surface of the wire and might contaminate your weld. If you are concerned enough, you could make test welds (as per your WQ or WPQ program) and send them out for mechanical testing.

Recognize that your heat affected zone will not be T6 condition once you finish the weld.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back