Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

55 sq ft bathrooms . 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcarewm

Mechanical
Apr 30, 2008
CA
Do I have to include the shower unit in to the room sq footage ? or just the actual floor area ? I have bathrooms in a university dorm that have a total sq ft of 56 sq ft including the the shower area . I remember someone stating that you don't have to include the shower at seminar i was attending a few years ago , but I can't find anything to back it up . thanks !

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

nfpa 13 2002 edition

8.14.8 Dwelling Units.
8.14.8.1 Bathrooms.
8.14.8.1.1 Unless sprinklers are required by 8.14.8.1.2 or 8.14.8.1.3, sprinklers shall not be required in bathrooms that are located within dwelling units, that do not exceed 55 ft2 (5.1 m2) in area, and that have walls and ceilings of noncombustible or limited-combustible materials with a 15-minute thermal barrier rating including the walls and ceilings behind fixtures.

From what I remember, the shower exclusion was often applied incorrectly. So, in the 2002 version, possibly 99, the wording about excluding the shower was removed. So now, you always include it. You also need to have that 15 minute thermal barrier behind the fixtures.

Travis Mack
MFP Design, LLC

Don't know where you are located, but the ahj here does not require the showers/baths as square footage if there is a bathroom that is that close to >55 sq. ft. I guess it depends on what version of nfpa they are using. It would probably be beneficials to talk with your ahj first before throwing heads in all bathrooms. In 2007 edition nfpa 13d 8.6.5, there might be an argument there as to why you don't have to include baths/shower areas. hope this helps

tony

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back