Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

6.4.6.3.2 Pendent Sprinklers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cdafd

Specifier/Regulator
Aug 18, 2005
US
NFPA 13R 2010

6.4.6.3.2 Pendent Sprinklers.

6.4.6.3.2.1 Pendent sprinklers shall be located at least 3 ft (914 mm) from obstructions such as ceiling fans and light fixtures unless the requirements of 6.4.6.3.4 are met.

Is the reason for the added distance away from an obstrucion is because you are wetting more than the floor???? and the spray could be thrown off.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

My understanding is the listing of residential sprinklers relies, to a greater extent than standard spray sprinklers, on wetting walls to prevent flashover in the event of a fire.

Thank you both

Had an installation under the 2002 edition and inspected under 2007 or better edition

Inspection company wrote up heads to close to light fixture

Scott they said that tx requires them to inspect to latestest edition??? Have not had achance to call the state

CD,

You need to check the TDI website. Plus, your fire code in Euless sets the code that is in effect. IFC establishes the edition of NFPA 25 that is in effect for inspection, testing and maintenance of H20 based fire protection systems. I don't believe the Texas Administrative Code does that but I haven't researched this.

Thanks, it surprised me when the sprinkler guy made that comment, since the state is Normaly behind on the edition they enforce
I was going to call the state next week and see what they say

Thanks

some reason this is not in the body of the code::::::

A.1.1 Generally accepted NFPA installation practices for water-based fire protection systems relevant to this standard are found in the following:
NFPA 13, Standard for the Installation of Sprinkler Systems.
NFPA 13R, Standard for the Installation of Sprinkler Systems in Residential Occupancies up to and Including Four Stories in Height.
NFPA 14, Standard for the Installation of Standpipe and Hose Systems.
NFPA 15, Standard for Water Spray Fixed Systems for Fire Protection.
NFPA 16, Standard for the Installation of Foam-Water Sprinkler and Foam-Water Spray Systems.
NFPA 20, Standard for the Installation of Stationary Pumps for Fire Protection.
NFPA 22, Standard for Water Tanks for Private Fire Protection.
NFPA 24, Standard for the Installation of Private Fire Service Mains and Their Appurtenances.
NFPA 750, Standard on Water Mist Fire Protection Systems.

mainly this statement:::::

"""""""For systems originally installed in accordance with one of these standards, the repair, replacement, alteration, or extension of such systems should also be performed in accordance with that same standard. When original installations are based on other applicable codes or standards, repair, replacement, alteration, or extension practices should be conducted in accordance with those other applicable codes or standards."""""

or is this section trying to say that::::::

5.5.3 Where the original installation standard is different from the cited standard, the use of the appropriate installing standard shall be permitted.

NFPA 25 2008

5.5.1.1 Where the original installation standard is different from the cited standard, the use of the appropriate installing standard shall be permitted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back