Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

6000 Gallon Catch Tank, Installation Guidance

JDI_eng

Chemical
Dec 13, 2023
US
Hi all,

I'm scoping an installation of a 6000 gallon catch tank (pressure vessel) that is ~9.5 feet in diameter and 11 feet tan to tan. 83,000 lbs in weight when full of water. There is a gravel patch that is ~25' x 25' where I want to install the tank.

Civil engineering is a big blind spot. I know that the soil will likely need analysis, underground pylons will need design, dike and sump will need engineering, tank concrete legs will need design, wind loading needs assessed. What are other major civil engineering considerations that I should expect when I consult with a civil PE? Do Civil PE's design mezzanines/ladders?

Please let me know if this belongs in another forum! Thank you.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You need a geotechnical engineer to do the soil study and recommend the foundation type. You will need a structural engr to design the foundation for tank and other associated structures, sumps, pipe supports, He can do a retaining wall, or dike design if needed. He can also do the ladder/access platform designs, if those are not supplied under the vessel fabricator contract. Those are often provided by the vessel fab, if they are only attached to the vessel. If they go from the vessel to another structure, you should probably have that done by somebody else (not the vessel fab).

--Einstein gave the same test to students every year. When asked why he would do something like that, "Because the answers had changed."

Back