Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

6013-T4 Natural Aging Curve

Status
Not open for further replies.

sdiguana

Apr 2, 2014
US
I have some 6013-T4 sheet that is several years old. I am assuming it has naturally aged up to ~T6. I'd like to find a curve on the aging profile of the material.. does anyone know where I can find said curve?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I had a very thin [0.020 thick, clad] sheet of 2024-T3 migrate to -T62 by natural aging in a desert environment for ~20 Years. Very annoying but an important 'learning' moment.

Weldable 6xxx series alloys should NOT naturally age at all... since their aging temperatures are way above 300F. On the other-hand 6013 has a uniquely short time to Age HT from -T4 to -T6 [@375F, 4-to-5-hrs, AMS2770].

IF You are sure it it 6013... accomplish Hardness and electrical conductivity per AMS2658. Caution conductivity may vary out-of-range... but is acceptable if hardness and tensile [per MMPDS] are in-range.

Regards, Wil Taylor
o Trust - But Verify!
o We believe to be true what we prefer to be true. [Unknown]
o For those who believe, no proof is required; for those who cannot believe, no proof is possible. [variation, Stuart Chase]
o Unfortunately, in science what You 'believe' is irrelevant. ["Orion", Homebuiltairplanes.com forum]

I was able to chase down that T4 is a stable condition at room temp from one of our materials engineers. I believe what I mis-remembered is the natural aging process that is related to solution heat treating, for some reason I had it in my head that 6061 and 6013 would naturally age from T4->T6 over a year or so. Not the case.

I am certain on the material it is printed on the sheets - AMS4347 6013-T4

FYI ONLY...

Interesting that 6013 data has been in [late] MIL-HDBK-5 thru all issues of MMPDS... but an alloy supposedly fairly common in in Europe... 6063 has never been in these documents. Even the Aluminum Association publications barely mentions 6063.

We have a major assembly from a European company that uses 6063-T4 AHT to -T6 welded-pipes that's driven me nuts trying to analyze welds/cracking, due to lack of US data. Anyone know of authoritative data for 6063???

Regards, Wil Taylor
o Trust - But Verify!
o We believe to be true what we prefer to be true. [Unknown]
o For those who believe, no proof is required; for those who cannot believe, no proof is possible. [variation,Stuart Chase]
o Unfortunately, in science what You 'believe' is irrelevant. ["Orion", Homebuiltairplanes.com forum]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back