Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

6061-T6 Forging, can we get a reflective finish?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tharding247365

Mechanical
Dec 30, 2014
US
Looking for a post process operation such as tumbling, sand blasting, etc to get a more uniform and hopefully reflective finish on some forgings, so we can anodize after and have a really nice looking part without finish machining. Trying to make look as good as actually machining, or close to without hand polishing or something labor intensive.

Suggestions?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Multi-stage tumbling, with progressively finer grit, will get you to an arbitrarily fine finish (it's just a matter of time and number of grits used).

A caveat: it might not be possible to eliminate the coarse surface texture of the forging, but the surface of the bumps can be made very smooth. Think of the surface of the handle of a (new, clean) crescent wrench.

see also

- especially the last post

We do a number of such forgings, and we're getting very good finishes right off the dies, but nowhere near reflective. Talk to a mass finishing vendor about possibly doing a steel media burnish or even perhaps electropolishing. It's worth an inquiry.

It is better to have enough ideas for some of them to be wrong, than to be always right by having no ideas at all.

I recently had some 1" diameter aluminum (I think 6061-T6) machined balls tumbled to something approximating a nominally mirror finish - sorry I don't know details of what media etc. they used.

So ditto what btrue says, depending just how rough the forging is initially.

Posting guidelines faq731-376 (probably not aimed specifically at you)
What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

Search around at PFonline.com, I know I just saw something about different media types and how they affect optical characteristics. Here is one link about getting mirror finish on SS sheet, not what I'm looking for but interesting none the less.

----------------------------------------

The Help for this program was created in Windows Help format, which depends on a feature that isn't included in this version of Windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back