Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

7.5 CAST issue (motion)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bengstudent

Mechanical
Jun 6, 2012
GB
Hi there, I'm new and my names Chris. I'm currently studying motorcycle design and engineering, including the use of NX. And in order to get more of a clue with NX and for my dissertation (eventually) im using CAST to suppliment my learning.

Now.... I seem to have a problem with all of the motion simulation tutorials. It seems to work with every other type of tutorial, but whenever using the motion tutorial parts, i get a "No write access" error message as soon as the CAST parts open. I also (in some instances) get "no privilege to access the AFU file". When checked, sometimes the AFU file is present and has been supplied, other times, it doesnt seem to been given. But in both instances, I get the same error message.

The Uni doesnt seem to have any idea what either of the issues are.

Silly thing is... I can make simulations myself and they run fine... But I still cant access and/or use the right motion parts.

Does anyone have any ideas? (and thanks in advance for having a little read)

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You need to check the protections on the folders (and perhaps individual files) where CAST was installed. The privileges may not have been set so that all users have access to these files.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Oh, thats brilliant! Thank you very much.

Just changed the security on the files and its all lovely.

On another note, im not sure if you can help... I seem to have the worlds supply of "bundles" in my licencing... Do they make a difference to anything? I realise they all (seem to) do different things, but I was curious to know if functionality was changed to any major degree with each set? Or whether they controled the more specific area's of NX?

(And thanks again... Its been bugging me for AGES)

Bundles only change 'functionality' in the sense that different modules are included in different bundles. For example, the Machining Modules found in the Maufacturing or CAM Bundles will NOT be found in a Modeling or Drafting Bundle. The same goes for the Simulation modules found in the CAE Bundle, they will not be in any of the other bundles. But for the common things like, like Gateway, Basic Modeling and Assemblies, the functionality of these modules would be the same in all bundles.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

Ah, I see... Usefull to know. Sadly, our Uni doesnt teach much in the way of CAD. We get basic tutorials designed to show us what may be possible... But the rest is just our own progress... So there may be many more idiot questions floating about from me... Apologies in advance ;o)

Just as long as it doesn't involve being asked to help with your homework [thumbsdown]

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

Hahaha... No, no... Homework is all sorted. This is all fun stuff! (I say fun for the moment... Hair loss and swearing may become a permanant fixture in my life)

"Hair loss and swearing may become a permanant fixture in my life"
- Welcome to our world ,
- the hair dresser becomes cheaper by time :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back