Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

700r4 valve body problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

lilnach

Automotive
Jul 20, 2009
US
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a 700r4. I'm rebuilding it and screwed up. I was drilling holes in the valve body walls like the kit told me to.... but there were two holes that were labeled "drill one OR the other, NOT BOTH" and I guess the carb cleaner fumes weren't well enough ventilated and i drilled them both. Its about a 2mm hole. I wanted to know if I should just JB weld it and smooth it out, really weld it, or and i just up the creek? If I was to really weld it what style weld would you guys recommend? Is the valve body steel, nodular iron or what? What would be the problems with a JB weld if it was smoothed out to exactly how the wall should be? Would the pressure just be too much? Well, thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You didn't mention exactly where the hole is. If there is enough wall thickness you could possibly plug one of the holes with a small steel ball staked in place or tap it for a machine screw. And as far as welding goes you might be able to have it TIG welded, make sure to go in short bursts and allow the area to cool between welds (maybe even use a wet cloth or ice to absorb the heat).

ISZ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back