Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

7075-T6 S-N Curves

Status
Not open for further replies.

themaniac

Aerospace
Sep 8, 2003
AU
Hey all,

I'm looking for S-N curves for AL 7075-T6.

I've looked at MIL-HDBK-5 and unfortunately the Kt value does not go high enough for me (the highest is 5.0 and i'm in the region of 8.0).

Naturally i'd prefer any electronic resources but then again anything would be better than nothing at all.

Cheers

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

israelkk,

Did you see that the originator of this question already referenced MIL-HDBK-5? Even the latest "J" revision that you indicated still does not have any data for Kt > 5.

themaniac,

I doubt that any other references will have data for Kt > 5, but the ones to check would be the following:

Aerospace Structural Metals Handbook (ASMH), 1999 ed.
Structural Alloys Handbook, 1996 ed.
Damage Tolerant Design Handbook

Perhaps you can just extrapolate from the available MIL-HDBK-5 curves would the decrement in fatigue strength would be for Kt ~ 8. Best of luck.

Since you are going from Kt=5 to Kt=8, it is reasonably safe to ratio the curves. The scatter will generally decrease in higher Kt data. I notice that there are several Kt fatigue curves. Plot the effect of Kt on life for a specific stress, or effect of Kt on peak stress for a specific life, to search for evidence of the material pattern.

Doug

themaniac,

In the ASM Handbook, Volume 19 "Fatigue and Fracture", you can find a S-N field for Al 7075-T6 whit very sharp notch Kt>12 (chapter "Selecting Aluminium Alloys to Resist Failure by Fracture Mechanics", p.786 '96 Ed.) is a small graph, but is the only reference i know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back